Monday, June 15, 2009

No More Being Driven to Distraction!

Hello Bloggers! Today is a sad day in the short 10-month history of Our Rants & Raves, for I have finally become so jaded within the blogosphere that I am resorting to what they call "Comment Moderation." This means that I will no longer put up with most of the negative comments, distractions and distortions I've tolerated in the past. I will now filter comments before publishing them

Why? I did a casual study over the weekend visiting a few "conservative" blogs, where I attempted to join in their discussions. Despite their rudeness, I found myself trying to be polite and respectful in an effort to make a serious impact. No matter how many insults were thrown my way, I didn't bite back. I refused to curse, name-call, or appear rude in any way. I considered myself a guest, and therefore acted like one. I decided that's how I want this blog to work.

I created OR&R to be a positive, friendly political blog. To get back to that idea, we need to filter a few abusive right-wingers. It's time to take back this blog, even if it does cost some visitors.

To hell with the rude people! I now know that we regulars are a progressive blog community, commenting on each other's blogs about all our political passions. It's a great exchange of ideas and energy, and there's no place for people seeking to create conflict. There's too much to talk about without being dragged into absurd battles defending against outrageous, intentionally false comments.

The right-wingers always seem to resort to extreme conflict. Unfiltered, they treat our blogs like some kind of right-wing toilet. Well, NO MORE! I'm tired of their crap!

They may think they're entertaining, but we know they're a waste of time. We don't blog because of them, but to exchange ideas and to enlighten ourselves about our society and our nation. I've already wasted way too much time on disruptive "ditto-heads." It seems you were right Infidel and Nancy. I should have done it earlier.

So, enough talking past each other. I give up! They are now a nuisance to be filtered. We will no longer allow distractions, distortions, lies, talking points, rudeness, crudeness or disrespect. To that end, I've created the following rules to get past "Comment Moderation:"

1. Feel free to quote from sources, but it's important to always write your own work.
2. Be respectful and you will be treated with respect.
3. Debate only the topic at hand to avoid confusion.
4. Share your opinion freely using reliable sources.
5. Do not ask unrelated, irrelevant questions.
6. Avoid distracting from or distorting the issue in any way.
7. No "F" bombs please.
8. No Name calling and or personal abuse.
(Note: These are being permanently posted on the right-side blog margin.)

So, that's all I can think of for now. They shouldn't be difficult if you stick to a proper debate format, and etiquette. In case you need a refresher, I'll re-post these new rules under my "Complete Profile" section.

This will probably result in a much quieter blog, but that's okay with me. You see, I never really wanted a rude, scandalous blog. I prefer to look long-term.

I would like to encourage all progressive liberals, independents, and liberal Republicans to join our healthy political debates - within the rules. You right-wing "ditto-heads" are welcome too, but ONLY if you respect and follow the rules. The filter is now switched ON!

For those who agree with this approach, and who continue to read my work and comment, I say welcome and thank you! It's great to be part of such a great group of people who care enough to discuss important, vital subjects within a respectable atmosphere - sorry, blogosphere!

Monday's Political Rant/Rave - Michael

PS - Btw, for those who think I'm overreacting, I recommend reading the book pictured above - The Politics of Distraction by Katlheen Jamieson, or the documentary Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story if you prefer a video. Each documents the origins of the politics of lies, distraction and distortion. It's one thing to know about it in theory, and something completely different to experience it in person. No more!

11 comments:

Infidel753 said...

Good for you. The only visitors this might "cost" you are the abusive pests whose value is decidedly negative anyway. There's no excuse for what amounts to abusive hecking -- regardless of the politics of the people doing it (or targeted by it).

B.J. said...

Good for you, Michael. The godfather of Republican attack politics was Lee Atwater, who died from a brain tumor while in his 30s. Before he died, he publically asked forgiveness for what he created. May he rest in peace. To a better blog! BJ

jonguttman said...

Number 7 is going to be really hard, but I'll try to behave myself.

jonguttman said...

Number 7 is going to be hard, but I'll try to behave myself.

ghostrider6265 said...

Boh I have a few ideas for some of your op-eds or whatever you want to call them.

1. What ever happened to Cindy Sheehan and why isn’t she still trying to get answers on her son’s death.
2. How about where did Code Pink go and why aren’t they protesting.
3. This one is a killer why is the military still using Haliburton since Cheney no longer is in office.
4. This one has to be the best of all Is Obama in bed with big oil seeing how gas process have gone up over 50% since Bush left office.

These were constant rants from the left a few month back especially Bush and big oil, Cheney and Haliburton.

Michael Boh said...

Thanks for the support guys! I do appreciate it! Jon, I'll be very flexible on #7. I like a colorful noun/verb/adjective as much as the next guy. Let's do our best to avoid the "F" bomb and I'll be fine. :)

BJ - You should buy that documentary online if you haven't reviewed it yet. It's incredible to witness the GOP admit that winning is more important than anything else - even the truth. Atwater taught Rove his slimeball tactics, and ordinary Republicans today don't even know it!

It's also fascinating at the end when Atwater repents while ALL THE SURVIVING GOP start to discredit him for doing so - they already bought into his tactics hook, line and sinker. It's one of the most shocking political documentaries ever made, and one of the most revealing about how today's GOP operates.

GR, thanks for those suggestions, but I'll select my own topics thank you. (I knew you were going to be the first rejections.) Btw, I'll publish EVERYBODY'S comments as long as they try to adhere to the overall "spirit of the rules" at the very least. Keep it clean and focused! :)

B.J. said...

Documentary title?

And, Lee Atwater learned from, ta-dah, little Don Segretti of Watergate fame. He's the one Carl Bernstein interviewed on his terrace, and he coined the name for their "dirty little tricks." I would tell you that name, but it would break rule #7, LOL!

BJ

Michael Boh said...

LOL!! Damn that #7 - something tells me it's going to be a problem. :)

It's called Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story and it's well worth checking out. I've watched it a few times, and hope to write a piece about it one day when I'm in the mood to do LOTS of research. There's a lot to the story! Enjoy!

Michael Boh said...

Btw, I just changed #7 to simply read "No "F" bombs please." I hope that allows us to express ourselves as creative adults. :)

Sue said...

I have encountered some conservative blogs who will not post my comments simply because they don't like my views! I find that rude. Why not have debate from both sides? My comments were not offensive or rude in any way! I guess some only want comments from their side, so they can feel good about themselves! So Michael, good for you, if a commentor can't have civil debate then screw them! If the conservatives can delete comments then you can too!

Michael Boh said...

Thanks Sue! I agree, unlike those "conservative" blogs I'm perfectly happy to post civilized, focused comments (which pretty much sums up the rules). I don't see that as a lot to ask of them. Btw, I also experienced those sites that wouldn't even post my comments, despite my attempt at clarity, facts and focus. That was amazing to see out there, not to mention a little scary. :) As always, thanks for your support!